Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Lord giveth and taketh away

I write this post to illustrate the importance of celebrating a life rather than mourning a death.  Monday night, a dear friend of mine from high school died suddenly.  He was a good man with a loving heart, and it was disappointing to say the least that I was unable to attend his funeral in the Panhandle.  However, the way it was ultimately handled was better for me and my other friend, and I believe more the way our departed friend would have wanted it.  I drove to her house Wednesday afternoon and we spent that evening having a couple drinks and reminiscing about our time with him.  The next two days and nights, we simply enjoyed being friends and cousins (she married my husband's cousin two years ago) and watched our kids play together.  We were both spared a 12-hour round trip with small children in a vehicle that does NOT get good mileage, and also were able to relax and enjoy remembering our friend on our own terms. 

Please, always remember that when our loved ones die they would much rather be remembered for who they were rather than how they died, and that regardless of the circumstances of death they are freed from earthly suffering at the moment they draw their last breath.  My friend had been secretly battling a terminal illness and had also been through plenty of emotional turmoil in the months before his death.  Whether he ultimately made his peace with his Creator and is awaiting us in heaven or whether he is in hell as a result of choices he made in his earthly life that involved rejecting organized religion is not for me to know, and ultimately will not matter to me after I am gone from this world.  Right now I would like to believe he did make that most important decision before leaving this life and that all of those he left behind will see him again someday.

At any rate, I have covered the "taketh away" part of this post.  The Lord gave my cousin/friend and me a wonderful time of seeing even more what blessings He has already provided us with, and how young we are at 33 and 34 rather than viewing ourselves as middle-aged or even old.  Death is a part of life.  However, many times the death of a loved one can bring about new spiritual revelations in our own lives, and also bring us closer to the ones who remain.  My friend and I had some very deep conversations over the last few days, and became closer than ever as friends and as family.  I hope this post helps some of you who are dealing with loss in your own lives.  Remember your loved ones for who they were to you, whether or not you attend a formal service for them when they pass on.  Most of all, accept Yeshua as your Lord and Savior, and ensure your own place in the Lamb's Book of Life so that when your time comes you will not miss out on seeing them. 

And let us not forget Jerusalem

Shalom!

Lora

No comments:

Post a Comment